30 Day Stress-Busting Bootcamp Day 18
The first thing we will do every day during this Stress-Busting Bootcamp, is pick a random page from my favorite tool (Flip Book) and use that as our guiding thought for the day. Here is today’s random pick from ‘Flip Book, Your Secret Weapon In A World Gone Wild”.
“Ask questions to change things…” (page 132)
What does this phrase mean to you?
What could it mean for you?
Jot down what comes to mind immediately.
Perhaps write it on a piece of paper and carry it with you throughout your day. Then as thoughts occur to you, capture them, by writing them down. I do this when I do not have my personal flip book handy. You see, I am always working on a new flip book of my own.
• What do I need to question?
• What question can I ask to change the level of stress I am feeling?
• Why would I want to continue to feel stress (this way)?
• How long am I willing to feel this stress (way)?
• What is stressing me out? Do I even know? Am I stressing about something I have any control over? (Say, the weather?)
• Is this problem/stress even mine? If it belongs to someone else, why am I feeling stressed about it? How is me being stressed out over someone else’s issue, contributing to their stress? Will me being stressed benefit or hurt the situation?
• What would I like to change? I have to know that something needs (wants) to change, before I can even begin to believe it can/will change.
• What results do I want in this stressful situation?
• We are asking questions (evaluating/judging things) in our mind all the time. Our subconscious mind is constantly evaluating and observing everything around us and asking ‘what does this mean to me?’ It does this as a survival mechanism. We all have it built right into our brains.
• Get into the habit of asking yourself (on a conscious level), ‘what does this mean to me?. How about, what could this mean to me?
• What does stress look like to/in me? What do I want it to be like? Imagine yourself experiencing stress in the exact way you want to.
• If it is to be, is it up to me?
• What if I did not let this bother me?
• How would _______________ handle this? (Someone you admire, preferably)
• To change anything, ask a different question. Keep asking a different question until you feel better. Why? What does this mean? What is the worst/best possible scenario? How likely is that to occur?
• How will I feel about this in the future? An hour from now? Tomorrow? A week from now? A month from now? A year from now? Five years from now? A decade from now? Often things that seem devastating at the time, turn out to be one of the best things that could ever happen to us. Why not choose to speed up the process and feel better now? You CAN, you know.
Write down, note what happens to you. What happens for you. How you feel.
Take action…even a tiny step in the right direction means progress…and progress in the right direction, means less stress!
A really fast way of dealing with stress, is to have a ‘go-to’ question that you ask yourself when you first feel stress.
We all actually already have a go-to question that we ask (in our head and often out loud) all the time.
WTF (What the f…. I will let you fill in the blank)?
This was not always my question and I actually do not even know (because I have not thought it was valuable to go back into the past and try to figure it out) when I shifted to using it.
I really did not even know it was my question until after recovering from my sudden cardiac arrest. Apparently, death experiences bring clarity.
When I woke up from a coma in the hospital, my first words were, ‘WTF’.
My sister had guessed that would be what I said.
Often others know what our go-to question is, even though we are not aware of it.
Now, how do you think WTF? impacted my view of things and level of stress?
Yup. I was a frustrated, overwhelmed mess, before my wake-up call. I think for most folks, it is better to look at this before the whole death-thing.
Everything I experienced was evaluated, automatically, with the WTF-filter.
Not a particularly empowering or positive way of looking at things. It meant there was always something wrong.
When I catch myself feeling stressed, negative, judging or slipping back into WTF mode…I ask ‘what am I creating now’?
Just posing the question STOPS me in my tracks and allows my brain to come up with much better options for me.
1. What is my go-to question? What question am I currently asking automatically?
• If you do not know, try asking some folks close to you.
• You may be surprised to find out what they think it is.
• Chances are, it is not a secret.
• You already know what your question is. (I knew, but was not paying attention. I was too busy asking it and feeling crappy because of the negative results I was creating by asking the question in the first place.)
• If you need help still, look at your stress ‘board’ from yesterday. It will be filled with clues.
2. How is asking this question impacting me?
3. What results am I getting from it?
4. Are they what I want?
5. What if you asked a different question?
6. Brainstorm some possible questions.
7. When you come up with the right question for you, you will know it. You will get a “YES” and a lighter feeling from deep within you. This might seem a little ‘woo woo’, but it is absolutely true (for all human beings).
8. Try your question out for a while.
9. Tweak it and simplify it, as it feels good to you. (I did not start out with ‘what am I creating now?’ It was some much longer version of this. But, that was not as easy as WTF, so I found myself reverting back. It was not until I shortened my question to ‘what am I creating now’ that it really worked for me.)
Be prepared to be challenged.
DO the ‘exercises’.
The more you do, the more you grow…the faster YOU master your life’s stress.
Your Stress-Busting Bootcamp Friend
Be Loving. Love Being. Be YOU!
Ready for Your Own Flip Book? Get YOURS here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01807AZR2 Link to get Flip Book on Amazon
Physical copy available on Amazon too! http://www.amazon.com/Flip-Book-Secret-Weapon-World/dp/1519345402/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451477546&sr=8-2&keywords=Flip+Book%3A+Your+Secret+Weapon+In+A+World+Gone+Wild
Comment and share your thoughts on our Facebook Page: